Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Repair Rather Than Replace

In an article called Little Ways to Save Big on a Remodel, This Old House Magazine writer Alexandra Bandon gave 10 tips to save money on a remodel. These are the 10 principles I've been guided by during my 5 years of DIY renovations. One can save thousands of dollars if these tips are followed safely. Read more-->

1. Repair Rather Than Replace
2. Roll Up Your Sleeves
3. Limit Demolition
4. Rob Peter to Pay Paul
5. Use Luxuries Selectively
6. Adjust To Your Circumstances
7. Add Detail With Paint
8. Stick With Stock
9. Be Open To Open Shelves And Doors
10. Reuse Existing Materials

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

PLG Bathroom: Part II

Since we were already doing work in our bathroom in Prospect-Lefferts Garden, we decided to change the tiles, sink, showerhead and add a new vanity.

1.) 5 Durock 5/16 3x5 Cement Board: $10.77 each
Tiles: $100
2.) AquaSource White Windsor Pedestal Lavatory: $87.73
3.) AquaSource White Windsor Pedestal Base: $46.02
4.) Showerhead: $16.98
5.) Vanity: $99

PLG Bathroom: The Work Never Ends

Three years ago I put a window in this cramped Prospect-Lefferts Garden bathroom. The bathroom had an ugly grey vent, with open storage space below. The vent was replaced with a small window; I kept the storage space, but added mirrored sliding doors.

Originally, in that space, there was a window about 45" X 32" wide. The original owners must have removed it, to create storage space in a house with only 3 closets on the first floor. After a long discussion about what to do with this storage, we decided to eliminate it and put a window back in that space. A window would allow for better circulation of air and light into the bathroom. We purchased the window from Windows We Are for $160.

Adding the right size mouldings around the window frame is just as important as the window itself. On this frame we used a 4" wide moulding which gives it a classic original look.

Friday, June 20, 2008

Halsey Street Reno: Parlor Floor Hallway

The entrance hallway of this Bed-Stuy house was terrible. After removing the tiles, cement and wire mesh, the original wood floor was exposed. Although it was in bad condition, I decided to restore it instead of laying new Bruce flooring, which can run about $50 to $80 a carton.

The floor needed to be patched and replaced in some areas before it could be sanded. After sanding, we added two coats of semi-gloss Polyurethane.

1. Removing tiles, cement and wire mesh (done by my cousins and I): $3.50 (3 Formula 50 Vitamin Waters)

2. Sanding, restoration, polyurethane (done by Mickey): $150