Sunday, September 30, 2007

Poly Prep


After 2 days of sanding and staining, I finally embarked on the final stage of the project, applying polyurethane. This is the trickiest part of the process. Every step I took (sanding, scrapping, staining, re-sanding) was in preparation for the polyurethane.

Polyurethane is used to protect wood as will as giving it a shining coating. For this, I chose Minwax® Helmsman® Spar Urethane (A protective clear finish for interior or exterior wood that is exposed to sunlight, water or temperature changes.) I chose a Semi-Gloss finish after doing plenty of research and testing.

While applying polyurethane one must remember to sand the doors with 220 grit sand paper before every new coat.

Application tool: Synthetic bristle brush
Dry time: 24 hours
Coats: Two so far, I'll add a third coat next weekend

DIRECTIONS:
1. Surface must be dry and free of paint, wax, grease, polish, old finishes in poor condition or any foreign matter.
2. Sand to obtain a smooth, uniform surface. Remove all dust with a cloth dampened with mineral spirits.
3. If desired, apply stain, such as Minwax® Wood Finish™, to unfinished interior wood surfaces. Follow directions for application instructions and dry times.
4. Stir well before and occasionally during use.
5. Apply a thin coat of HELMSMAN® Spar Urethane using a high quality natural bristle brush. On unfinished wood, apply sufficient material to seal open joints, edges and end-grain.
6. Let dry at least four hours, then sand entire surface lightly with very fine sandpaper (220 grit) to ensure an even finish and proper adhesion of additional coats.
7. Apply second coat. If a third coat is desired, repeat Step 6 before applying. Note: For exterior surfaces or for previously unfinished wood, three coats are recommended.
8. After final coat, allow 24 hours before normal use.

Next Episode: "The Last Coat"

1 comment:

faithful said...

Oh my gosh...I love the doors. After seeing the doors that you purchased from Eddie. I went to see him on Saturday. Unfortunately my doors have to be 24" each, so my selection was pretty limited. He only had one. It looked pretty decent. My contractor is going to take a look at them this afternoon. The doors that I'm interested are pine...I was kinda set on oak. Do you mind telling me what type of wood your doors are?

What color stain did you use?